Friday, October 22, 2010

Portfolio Update

I have been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time. Tonight I get to report that I collected 100% profit on one of my positions today. AMR had a large run up two days ago on it's earnings report.

From what I have been told, it is risky to hold onto a position on the week of its earnings being reported. Although I had looked it up before I bought in, I honestly forgot that earnings for AMR was to going to be reported this week. Fortunately for me it performed the way that it did and didn't trigger my STC stop order on that day. The only other way that I know of to trade on earnings is to set up a BTO limit-stop order contingent on a set stock price followed by setting up an STC stop order after the BTO triggers. This would require more time than I have because of my normal work day demands.

Following the move up, I was astute enough to update my stop-loss order to position myself to capture some profit. The following day it traded near the stop without triggering, but then dipped below my trigger price, stopping me out for the gross 100% profit. Currently I believe AMR will be pulling back a little bit, so I might get back in. But first, I want to see it test the break out level of $6.50. There is nothing yet to report on my other positions. That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

AMR - AMR Corp (American Airlines)
BTO - Buy-to-open
STC - Sell-to-close

No comments:

Post a Comment