Thursday, November 25, 2010

Portfolio Update: One Day Trade

Today is Thanksgiving and the U.S. markets are closed. Since I didn't have the time last night to post the results of my last trade, I am doing it now. Yesterday, I entered into a 5 contract position of the QQQQ 20110122 $53 call options. This was done as a contingent order that if the underlying QQQQ shares priced above $52.86 that I would BTO a position of 5 call options at a limit of $1.49 per contract share. It triggered and my position was BTO at $1.46.

The value continued to climb to $1.60 early in the day and held that level through-out the afternoon with a top of $1.63. With my non-professional analysis of the technical indicators, I became uncertain of this stalled gain continuing higher past Thanksgiving. So I decided to make a day traders move and cash out before the close at the bid of $1.59. This resulted in this trade profiting just over 6.5%. Again, better than bank interest. That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

BTO - buy-to-open / bought-to-open
QQQQ - Powershares QQQ Trust ETF

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Portfolio Update

Today was a profitable day, although not nearly as profitable as I would have liked. This morning I was stopped out of my position of the QQQQ 20110122 $53 puts I purchased a week ago. The profit made on this trade was only a measly 5.7%. If I had STC yesterday, after it had made more than 30% profit in one week, I could have captured at minimum of 22.7%. Live and learn I guess. Should I consider literally selling into strength, or may be tightening up my stops to more than 25% of the most recent high? That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

QQQQ - Powershares QQQ Trust ETF
STC - sell-to-close / sold-to-close

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Portfolio Update

Yet another day where I wish I didn't have to work until 30 minutes after the market opens. Today I BTO a position of 3 QQQQ 20110122 $53 put options. And of course getting into this position occurs after QQQQ gaps down and then retraces back up during the day. It was still a down day for QQQQ, so this could just be one of those annoying days. I have my stop put in just in case. We will see how it turns out.

That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

BTO - buy-to-open / bought-to-open
QQQQ - Powershares QQQ Trust ETF

Portfolio Update

Well that was a lousy day in the market for me. I got stopped out of both my SLV and UNG option positions for a loss on both. SLV stopped out at $1.26, a little under my stop of $1.28, for a loss of about 26.9%. UNG stopped out at $0.38 for a loss of about 2.6%. Both are looking like they are pulling back. At some point in the near future, I will probably try re-entering.

That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

SLV - iShares Silver Trust ETF
UNG - United States Natural Gas Fund ETF

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Portfolio Update

For today I had a contingency order to BTO 3 contracts of the SLV 20110122 $28 calls if SLV broke above $27.21. It was my intent to buy them at no more than $1.71 per contract share. To my disappointment, SLV opened on a gap up of $0.65, climbed up as high as $28.72 and then came crashing down to $25.85 before closing at $26.18. As a result, the option position I made the order for executed on the down move and is currently ~22% in the hole. I don't want to lose much more, so I have an order to STC my position if it drops another 3% to under $1.28 per contract share.

On the positive side, I have a paper gain of 22% on my UNG call option position that I BTO yesterday. Unfortunately it still isn't enough for my stop order to STC at a profit. I will still have to wait and see.

That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

BTO - buy-to-open / bought-to-open
SLV - iShares Silver Trust ETF
STC - sell-to-close / sold-to-close
UNG - United States Natural Gas Fund ETF

Portfolio Update

With the weather starting to cool off in North America, I figure it is about time that the demand for natural gas should start to "heat up" so-to-speak. Surprising enough, on Monday, the very first day I placed the order for, UNG broke above my contingency price of $5.84 on pretty strong volume, although the price only gaped up and then climbed a little higher.

Anyway, as a result, my BTO for 5 contracts of the UNG 20110122 $6 calls was executed at the price of $0.39. Now all I am waiting to see is if it will maintain this upward move towards and above $6. If it doesn't I will have to STC at a loss of since my trailing stop on the price is well below my entry point. But still better to loose a little than to loose the entire position. That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

BTO - buy-to-open / bought-to-open
STC - sell-to-close / sold-to-close
UNG - United States Natural Gas Fund ETF

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Portfolio Update

Today I closed my STO put position for CPLP. With the stock value going up slowly and the month of time that has passed, the value of the 2 put options I sold at $0.30 a contract share has dropped down to my trigger price of $0.05. After commissions, this is a profit of $37.47 and I free up the $1,500 that would have been needed to purchase the 200 shares of CPLP had it dropped below $7.50 a share. Total profit on the sale is just short of 70%, but if you look at it from the perspective of the $1,500 that was frozen to secure the puts, it is only a profit of 0.025% for the past month. Sadly enough, that is still better than bank interest. That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

CPLP - Capital Product Partners, LP
STO - sell-to-open/sold-to-open