Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Portfolio Update

The market closed on mixed results. The Dow and Russel was down, but the NASDAQ and S&P were up. This is how my portfolio fared.

CPLP had bull day on way better than average volume. The Stochastic and MACD indicators are both pointing up strongly. As a result of the strong move, the options for it also moved. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of a move to trigger my Covered Call order against it. But since the move was as strong as it was, I am upping my asking price. When it matches the bid it should trigger.

EVEP had a bull day on slightly better than average volume. The move was strong enough that it moved broke and stayed above the high that was put in last week, the MACD indicator crossed up over it's signal line and the Stochastic indicator has come in contact with it's signal line. Unfortunately the Stochastic indicator has been in the oversold range for a couple weeks so it is due to pull back eventually.

SLV had a bull day on slightly stronger than average volume. The move was a strong, solid move through the $17.50 price point of which it just barely closed above. The Stochastic and MACD indicators are pointing up and there is a strong likelihood of some significant gains over the coming weeks.

As far as paper trades go. I did pretty good there as well. My stock positions on JADE and S both had moves of almost 6% each on greater than average volume. The Stochastic and MACD indicators for both also pointing up strongly. So promising were these moves that I want to get in them for real. But, alas, these stocks do not pay dividends and I don't want to get involved in too many non-dividend paying stocks.

Surpassing both of these two stocks was my option paper trade on JPM. On a 1.94% move in the stock the $43Mar10 Call option moved up almost 19.5% That is a move 10 greater than the stock. That is the power of options. Oh how I wish I was getting back into options right now, but I made a promise to really practice with paper trading before getting back in. I want to give this at least a full three months before I start to get in the options market again. I want to be safe, not sorry. Contradictory to this move, though, is that the Stochastic indicator seems to be turning ever so slightly as it breaches into the overbought range. At the same time the MACD indicator moved up stronger. There may not be much of a move this time around.

The only negative was OPWV. On less than average volume it slipped back a little over 2%. The Stochastic indicator still broke up into the overbought range but the MACD indicator leveled off and the gap between it and it's signal line, closed a little. What I am suspecting is a pull back to about $2.25, maybe lower. From there, if the bounce is strong, I suspect that there will be a strong rally. That is my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

Disclaimer: See bottom of page. http://investorsopinion.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment